Try this low-carb shredded lemony chicken with artichoke hearts for a quick and easy summer lunch or dinner!
Shredded lemony chicken with artichoke hearts
- 4 – 6 fresh artichokes
- 1 lemon, halved
- 100g butter
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- handful fresh thyme leaves + extra, to garnish
- 30ml (2 tbsp) fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped
- 250ml (1 cup) fresh cream
- 45ml (3 tbsp) wholegrain mustard
- 1 whole chicken, roasted and meat shredded
- 125ml (½ cup) chicken stock
- juice of 1 lemon
- handful fresh dill, roughly chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- lemon wedges, to serve
- roasted vine tomatoes, to serve (optional)
- fresh bay leaves, to garnish (optional)
Using a serrated bread knife, cut the tips of the artichokes off and trim the bases, then slice the artichokes in half and remove the hairy bits using a teaspoon. Rub the parts of the artichokes that have been cut with the lemon to prevent them from oxidising and turning brown.
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and add a squeeze of lemon juice. Blanch the artichokes until tender but slightly crunchy, about 6 minutes, before draining.
Remove the outer leaves from the artichokes and discard. Scoop out the tender, fleshy artichoke heart and set aside.
Heat the butter in a large pan over low heat. Sauté the onion and garlic with the thyme and rosemary until the onion is soft and translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the cream, mustard and artichoke hearts and simmer, 5 minutes.
Stir the cream and artichoke mixture into the shredded chicken, add the chicken stock, lemon juice and dill and season well to taste.
Place the shredded chicken on a platter and serve with lemon wedges for squeezing and garnished with roasted vine tomatoes and fresh bay leaves and thyme.