The perfect Mexican feast – try these smoky chipotle chicken taquitos!
Smoky chipotle chicken taquitos
- 10ml (2 tsp) chipotle paste
- 80ml (1/3 cup) mayonnaise
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 400g uncooked brown rice
- 30ml (2 tbsp) brown sugar
- 30ml (2 tbsp) Earl Grey tea leaves
- 4 (500g) skinless chicken breasts
- olive oil, to brush
- 1 quantity basic wheat tortilla dough
- 110g baby lettuce leaves
- 1 red onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, seeded and sliced
- 2 red apples, cored and sliced
- handful fresh coriander
- 100g sugar snap peas
For the spread, mix together all of the ingredients and set aside until needed.
For the smoked chicken, mix together the rice, sugar and tea leaves and transfer to a 28cm x 18cm baking tray. Place the chicken breasts on a wire rack in the tray and cover loosely with foil. Place on the stove over medium heat and smoke, 15 minutes, turning continuously. Remove the chicken from the rack, brush with olive oil and finish cooking on a griddle pan over medium heat until cooked through, 10 minutes on each side.
Divide the tortilla wheat dough into 6 golf ball-sized balls. Roll out the balls into 28cm-diameter rounds, about 0,25cm thick and dry-fry in a non-stick pan over medium heat, 30 seconds on each side. Cover with a damp tea towel while still hot.
For the filling, combine all of the ingredients in a bowl.
Add a layer of the spread to the tortillas, stack with smoked chicken and filling, roll up and serve your taquitos warm or cold.