TO DRINK: Laphroaig whisky, with a dash of water. Its smoky, peaty flavour is a surprisingly satisfying accompaniment to simple dishes with pure flavours.
Spaghettini alla carrettiera
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 60ml (¼ cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 500g spaghettini (or spaghetti)
- 60ml (¼ cup) coarse breadcrumbs
- 8 kalamata olives, pitted and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 60ml (¼ cup) fresh flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Grana Padano, freshly grated, to serve
In a pestle and mortar, crush the anchovies with the olive oil.
Cook the pasta in plenty of boiling, salted water until al dente and drain.
Heat a pan over medium heat. When hot, remove it from the heat and add the anchovy-oil mixture and the breadcrumbs and cook, stirring, for about 5 – 10 seconds. Put back on the heat and add the olives, garlic and parsley. Season only if necessary.
Add the cooked spaghettini to the pan, remove from the heat and toss to coat the pasta. Serve immediately with Grana Padano.