Tagliatelle alla Norma
- coarse salt, fine salt and freshly ground black pepper,
- to taste
- 45ml (3 tbsp) extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- ½ onion, peeled and chopped
- 500g tinned, chopped tomatoes
- 1 aubergine, diced + a few slices of aubergine to garnish
- oil, for frying
- a handful of fresh basil
- 500g fresh tagliatelle
- 80g grated pecorino or Parmesan
- 100g fresh ricotta
Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil, adding 15ml (1 tbsp) of coarse salt per litre of water.
Using a separate saucepan, combine the extra virgin olive oil, garlic, onion, tomatoes and a pinch of salt, and cook the sauce gently for 20 minutes.
Fry the diced aubergine in oil until golden brown and drain on paper towel.
When the sauce is ready add the aubergine and basil, season and keep warm until required.
Cook the tagliatelle in the boiling water until al dente. Drain the pasta, add the sauce and gently combine.
Serve in individual dishes with extra slices of aubergine and sprinkled with pecorino or Parmesan, ricotta cheese and black pepper.