Wanting a little more doesn’t make you avaricious. It just means that this delicious trio of ice creams is addictive.
All the ice creams (double choc fudge, nougat and triple nut coffee) are made from the same basic recipe. You can make them in separate containers or layer them on top of each other and freeze. Basic recipe makes about 1 litre.
Recipe by Toni Scorgie and Nadine Waner of The Tart
Photographs by Graeme Borchers
The Tart Boutique Catering & Individually Crafted Cakes, 48 Jan Smuts Avenue, Forest Town, Johannesburg. Call 011-646-4781 or email [email protected].
Trio of ice creams
Basic ice cream
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 210g (1 cup) castor sugar
- 5ml (1 tsp) salt
- 750ml (3 cups) milk
- 375ml (1½ cups) fresh cream
Double choc fudge
- 375ml (1½ cups) good-quality milk chocolate, chopped
- 5 pieces ready-made fudge, chopped
- 200ml good-quality dark chocolate, chopped
- 125ml (½ cup) fresh cream
- 2,5ml (½ tsp) orange zest
- 30ml (2 tbsp) honey
- 125ml (½ cup) pistachios, chopped
Triple nut coffee
- 45ml (3 tbsp) ready-made coffee
- 60ml (¼ cup) almonds, roasted and coarsely chopped
- 60ml (¼ cup) pecan nuts, coarsely chopped
- 60ml (¼ cup) hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
For the ice cream, beat the egg yolks and castor sugar until creamy. Add the salt and milk. Simmer in a pot on a low heat until it thickens and becomes custard. Strain, cool, and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
Beat the cream until stiff and fold it into the custard. Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold in. Freeze until firm, about 8 hours.
For the double choc fudge, add the milk chocolate at custard stage. Mix in the fudge after the rest of the ingredients have been added. Melt the dark chocolate and cream over low heat and allow to cool. Swirl this over the top of the ice cream and freeze until firm.
For the nougat, add the orange zest and honey at custard stage. Mix in the pistachios once the rest of the ingredients have been added and freeze until firm.
For the triple nut coffee ice cream, add the coffee at custard stage. Mix in the nuts once the rest of the ingredients have been added and freeze until firm.