What you put in is what you get out. Sarah Graham says about her latest book – “For me, this book is about putting goodness in, and getting goodness out”. Wholesome – 100 sugar, gluten and carb conscious recipes is the fourth book lining the shelves with Sarah Graham’s name on it; the predecessors – Bitten. (2012), Smitten. (2014) and Home. (2015). This well-loved blogger, cookbook author and cooking show host brings us food that feeds not body alone, but the mind too. Be aware: refined sugar and carb!
Read more about Wholesome – 100 sugar, gluten and carb conscious recipes in our May 2017 issue.
Our Ultimate Chocolate Cake with Coffee Ganache
- ¼ cup coconut sugar (or maple syrup or rice malt syrup)
- ¼ cup raw cacao powder
- ¼ cup coconut oil, warmed until liquid
- ¼ cup nut butter (I like macadamia)
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 1 tsp instant espresso powder
- 1 cup just-boiled water
- ½ cup coconut flour (or buckwheat flour)
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- raspberries and/or roasted nuts of your choice, for decorating
- 1⁄3 cup raw cacao powder
- ½ cup coconut oil, warmed until liquid
- ½ cup coconut cream
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup (or rice malt syrup)
- ½ tsp instant espresso powder, dissolved in 1 tsp hot water (optional)
- pinch of sea-salt flakes
- 2–3 Tbsp peanut butter or nut butter (optional)
Preheat the oven to 170 °C and lightly grease a 22 cm round cake tin.
Mix together all of the cake ingredients, except the eggs. When you have a smooth batter, add the eggs and mix again until combined.
Pour the batter into the cake tin and bake for 30–40 minutes, or until the cake is just cooked through and a skewer inserted into its centre comes out clean.
To make the ganache, mix all the ingredients until smooth, altering the quantities to suit your preferred consistency.
Once the cake has cooled completely, pour over the ganache and decorate with fresh raspberries and/or roughly chopped roasted nuts, and serve as soon as possible.
Recipes by Sarah Graham Styling by Luisa Farelo Hayes Photographs by Curtis Gallon
Four online readers will each win a copy of Wholesome (R230) by Sarah Graham (published by Penguin Random House, South Africa). Click here to enter.