Vickie’s Mom’s Chicken Pie
- 1 whole roasted chicken, cooled
- 60ml (¼ cup) SPAR Olive Oil
- SPAR Ground Salt and SPAR Ground Black Pepper
- small handful fresh thyme leaves
- 2 Freshline Medium Onions, chopped
- 1 Freshline Leek, washed and chopped
- 250g mushrooms, roughly chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground nutmeg
- small handful fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 60ml (¼ cup) SPAR Sour Cream
- 2 x 400g ready to roll puff pastry, thawed at room temperature
- egg wash
- 23cm loose-bottomed pan with a depth of 5cm, greased thoroughly
Pull all the meat of the chicken carcass and set aside in a bowl (discard the carcass).
Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat and fry the thyme, onions, leek and mushrooms until cooked and golden. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Add the chicken and fry, stirring constantly, xx minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and stir in the sage and crème frâiché. Set aside to cool.
Preheat the oven to 210°C. Roll out 1 roll of puff pastry on a lightly floured surface big enough to fit the bottom and sides of the loose-bottomed pan. Line the pan with the pastry and fill with the cooled chicken filling. Roll out the remaining puff pastry into a disk big enough to top the pie. Pinch the pastry on the sides together with the pastry from the top to ensure that it seals properly. Use the leftover strips of pastry to make little roses and cut leaves to place on top. Refrigerate to rest, 10 minutes.
Brush the egg wash all over the pastry and bake in the oven until golden on top, 45 – 55 minutes. Cover the top with foil if it browns too quickly, before the sides are done. Remove from the oven and serve warm.