Vietnamese vegetable pho noodle soup with Asian basil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 x 5cm piece fresh ginger, sliced
- 4 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 30ml fish sauce
- 15ml sugar
- 1,5 litres good-quality vegetable stock
- juice of 2 limes
- salt, to taste
- 12 – 16 shiitake mushrooms, stalks removed
- 1 large bunch enoki mushrooms, split into 8
- 375g rice noodles, soaked
- 200g bean sprouts, to serve
- 1 bunch spring onions, chopped, to serve
- 100g Asian basil, to serve
- 100g fresh coriander, to serve
- 10ml fish sauce, to serve
- 1 lime, cut into wedges, to serve
- 2 red chillies, seeded and sliced, to serve
Simmer the ingredients for the stock until well infused, about 40 minutes. Strain the bits and return the stock to the pot.
Add the shiitake and enoki mushrooms and simmer for a few more minutes. Place a generous amount of noodles into each bowl and ladle over some stock.
When ready to serve, allow everyone to add their own trimmings and eat immediately.