The Wolfpack ostrich burger
- 600g ostrich mince
- 15ml (1 tbsp) Dijon mustard
- 30ml (2 tbsp) fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Maldon Sea Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- a knob of butter
- 15ml (1 tbsp) onion, chopped
- 250g frozen blueberries
- 15ml (1 tbsp) brown sugar
- 1cm fresh ginger, grated
- 250ml (1 cup) water
- 1 avocado, chopped
- a squeeze of fresh lemon
- small to medium block of Danish feta
- 4 medium-sized vetkoek
- watercress, to serve
- baby spinach, to serve
- 50g flaked almonds, toasted
- apple salad, to serve (optional)
Mix the ostrich mince with mustard and parsley, and season. Press in a burger press, or by hand, not too tightly, and rest in the fridge for 1 hour.
Heat the butter in a pan over medium-high heat and sauté the onion. Add the blueberries, sugar, ginger and water, and reduce to a jam consistency, 45 minutes.
Combine the avocado, lemon juice, salt and pepper, and blend until smooth.
Cream the feta with a fork until smooth.
Cut the vetkoek in half and lightly toast.
Seal the patty on a hot grill and cookto medium-rare or to your liking.
To assemble, add equal amounts of watercress, baby spinach and rocket to cover the bottom half of the vetkoek. Place patty on base of greens. Spread avo generously on the patty. Place about 15 – 20ml (1 – 1½ tbsp) blueberry reduction on the avo. Sprinkle with toasted almonds and drizzle with feta. Top with vetkoek and serve with apple salad, if desired.