This bruschetta with tomato topping is a classic Italian recipe that is easy to whip up when you have surprise guests for dinner.
HANDS-ON TIME 20 min | TOTAL TIME 35 min + cooling | SERVES 6-8
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 6 large roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 ½ Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Large handful basil, roughly chopped
- 1 large ciabatta
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 tsp. sea salt flakes
- Fresh basil, extra, leaves picked
1. Place the garlic in a heatproof bowl.
2. Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium-low heat until the surface starts to shimmer. Pour the hot oil over the garlic and set aside to cool.
3. Combine the garlic oil mixture, tomatoes, vinegar and basil in a bowl. Season to taste. Cover with cling wrap and leave for 15 minutes at room temperature to marinate.
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Cut ciabatta into slices and place on an oven tray. Brush both sides of the bread with oil.
3. Toast in the oven for 12 minutes or until golden and crisp, turning slices halfway through cooking time.
4. RubB toasts gently with the whole garlic clove as they come out of the oven.
1. Pile tomato topping on top of the toasts and dress with a bit of the tomato liquid. Finish your tomato bruschetta with a sprinkle of sea salt flakes and fresh basil leaves. Serve immediately.
If you’re looking to add more sweetness to your tomato topping, use 1 tablespoon balsamic reduction instead of the vinegar . If you don’t have ciabatta on hand, simply use any crackers you have at home.
Did you make this recipe? Tag us on Instagram @foodandhomesa!