One recipe every home cook should have in their repertoire: A really, really good creamy mushroom sauce! A great mushroom garlic sauce feels luxurious, but it’s actually deceptively easy to make.
Whether drizzled over a succulent steak, paired with tender chicken, or stirred into pasta, this versatile sauce adds a touch of gourmet magic to any meal.
- Sauté the mushrooms. Cook the mushrooms in a single layer in a large pot for best results, and don’t add salt just yet: this helps the mushrooms get browned and slightly crispy for the best texture.
- Add onion & garlic. Cook until everything is soft, then add salt and pepper!
- Make a roux with a bit of flour to help thicken the sauce.
- Add milk, stir to work out any lumps of flour, and cook until thickened.
- Stir in some parmesan, pour your mushroom sauce over pasta/chicken/etc., and enjoy!
ALSO SEE: How to make basic white sauce
Feature image: Pexels