It’s the little foodie hacks that make our world go round!
We’ve just discovered a pretty nifty trick on TikTok (the endless wormhole of helpful hacks) about how to free up space in the freezer and make defrosting ground meats, tomato paste, and minced garlic a breeze!
How, you may ask? We’ll walk you through the steps:
- The first order of business is to clean off your work surface or countertop before handling raw meat.
- Grab the produce you wish to freeze – your ground meat (including vegetarian grounds) tomato paste, or blitzed fresh garlic and place it in a Ziploc bag. For ground meat, flip your bag inside out to grab the meat, bringing it into the bag and then turning the right way in.
- Smooth and flatten the produce in your Ziploc bag into a thin layer by rolling over with a rolling pin or glass.
- Seal bag and label with a marker.
- Then take the back of a butter knife and gently score lines along your flattened bag of produce, separating into block-sized portions.
- Pop in the freezer for an hour or two. Once the bag has firmed up slightly, bend along the indentations you created to separate portions even further, making it easy to grab a block when you need one without defrosting the whole pack!
If need a visual demonstration, here’s the video:
Space saving freezer hacks! 🙌🏼 #horderly #freezer #hacks #freezerhacks #freezerorganization #meat #frozen #frozenfood #cooking #fridge #refridgerator #refridgeratororganization #space #smallspace #smallspaceliving #smallspaces #smallspaceideas #foodie #saver #save #defrost
This hack doesn’t only make defrosting much faster, but also saves up space in your freezer by doing away with bulkier packs of ground meet.
ALSO SEE: 17 kitchen hacks TikTok taught us
Written by Savanna Douglas for Woman&Home.
Feature Image: Getty Images