TO DRINK: Hamilton Russell Pinot Noir 2003, a soft grape that goes well with any dish.
- PICKLED AUBERGINES
- 3 aubergines, very thinly sliced
- 200ml white vinegar
- 200ml olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, quartered
- 10 peppercorns
- PAN-FRIED TOMATOES
- 100ml olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 250g Rosa tomatoes, halved
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 45ml (3 tbsp) fresh basil, torn
- 1 x 400g tin artichoke hearts, drained and halved
- 100g black olives
- 50ml capers, drained
- fresh thyme, for garnish
Place the aubergines in a pot, cover with the vinegar and leave to stand overnight.
Squeeze any excess vinegar out of the aubergines. Layer the aubergines gently in a sterilised jar. Add the oil, garlic and peppercorns. Leave to stand and infuse for about 1 month.
To make the tomatoes, heat the oil in a frying pan and sauté the garlic for a few minutes. Add the tomatoes and toss to heat through. Add the zest, juice and basil and toss to combine.
To serve, place the artichokes in a jar, top with the tomatoes, olives and aubergines. Add the capers, garnish with the thyme and serve with crusty bread.