If you’re craving a sweet treat but don’t want anything too rich or overwhelming, give beetroot and pineapple cake a try. It has wonderful earthy flavours, and a natural sweetness from the juicy pineapple. This lovely cake is perfect for afternoon tea.
Beetroot and pineapple cake
- 200g castor sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 190g (1 cups) self-raising flour
- 1,25ml (¼ tsp) cinnamon
- 1,25ml (¼ tsp) nutmeg
- 1,25ml (¼ tsp) allspice
- 10g bicarbonate of soda
- 250g cooked beetroot, grated
- 1 x 250g tin crushed pineapple
- 250ml (1 cup) sunflower oil
- 150g macadamia nuts, crushed
- 240g cream cheese
- 30ml (2 tbsp) burnt butter
- 2,5ml (½ tsp) vanilla essence
- 50g mascarpone
- 180g icing sugar
- 150g toasted macadamia nuts, to garnish
Preheat the oven to 170°C. Grease and line a 25cm cake tin.
Beat the castor sugar and eggs until thick and creamy.
Sift the dry ingredients and add to the sugar and egg mixture.
Add the beetroot, pineapple, oil and nuts, and mix well.
Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake for 45 minutes.
For the icing, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add the vanilla and mascarpone. Add the icing sugar and whisk until smooth.
Ice the top of the cooled cake and sprinkle with toasted macadamia nuts.