Best spaghetti bolognaise
- 30ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 1kg lean beef mince
- 2 small red onions, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 5ml (1 tsp) fresh thyme leaves
- 2 x 410g tins Italian chopped tomatoes
- 60ml (¼ cup) tomato paste
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 200ml boiling water
- 500g spaghetti
- 15ml (1 tbsp) fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- handful fresh basil leaves, torn
- Parmesan shavings, to serve, optional
Heat the oil in a heavy-based pot and brown the mince. Remove from the pan and set aside.
In the same pan, fry the onions, garlic and thyme until soft, about 15 minutes. Add the tomato and paste, season to taste and simmer for about 1 hour, adding water when necessary.
Cook the pasta in plenty of salted boiling water until al dente and drain.
Stir the parsley and basil into the bolognaise sauce, toss through the spaghetti and serve topped with the Parmesan.