You can use any combination of mushrooms you like.
Recipe and styling by Dashania Murugas
Photographs by Dylan Swart
Buckwheat noodles with walnut pesto, chilli mushrooms and amaranth
- 125ml (½ cup) olive oil
- 150g walnuts
- 2 garlic cloves
- olive oil, to fry
- 300g oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- 1 lemon wedge
- 320g buckwheat (soba) noodles, cooked according to packaging instructions
- 3 tbsp toasted hemp seeds, to garnish
- handful amaranth microherbs, to garnish (find at speciality grocery stores)
In a blender, place the 125ml (½ cup) olive oil with the walnuts and garlic cloves. Blitz to form a pesto. Set aside.
For the mushrooms, pour a drizzle of olive oil in a frying pan on medium heat. Sauté the mushrooms together with the chilli flakes, if using, until tender, 5 – 10 minutes. Squeeze the lemon wedge over.
Toss the warm buckwheat noodles with the walnut pesto. Add the chilli mushrooms. Sprinkle with the toasted hemp seeds and garnish with the amaranth microherbs.