Hot and sour cucumber with sticky mushroom noodles is a delicious vegetable side for those who are sick of salad. Nameko are small mushrooms with a shiny, golden cap. If you can’t find them in Asian speciality stores, you can use shiitake or enoki mushrooms instead. This delicious dish is bursting with tangy flavours.
Hot and sour cucumber with sticky mushroom noodles
- 60ml (¼ cup) rice wine vinegar
- 15ml (1 tbsp) lime juice
- 10ml (2 tsp) dried chilli flakes
- 15ml (1 tbsp) sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 cucumbers, peeled, seeded and sliced
- 15ml (1 tbsp) sesame oil
- 100g nameko mushrooms
- 300g oyster mushrooms
- 125ml (½ cup) oyster sauce
- 125ml (½ cup) chicken or vegetable stock
- 270g green tea soba noodles, cooked
- 250ml (1 cup) fresh mint leaves
- 3 green onions (scallions), thinly sliced
Place the vinegar, lime juice, chilli, sesame seeds and cucumber in a bowl and mix well to combine. Set aside.
Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook until soft, for about 1 – 2 minutes. Add the oyster sauce, stock and noodles and cook until the noodles are coated in sauce, about a further 1 minute.
Top the mushrooms and noodles with the cucumber, mint and green onions to serve.