Our favourite curry recipe of all time – cashew nut butter chicken. This deliciously saucy butter chicken is perfect for cooler weather and it is not too spicy which means the whole family would love to dig in.
For a different naan recipe, try this cumin and potato naan!
Cashew nut butter chicken
- 250ml (1 cup) plain yoghurt
- 45ml (3 tbsp) ready-made butter chicken spice
- 750g chicken thigh fillets, skin and bones removed, roughly chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3cm fresh ginger, grated
- 1 green chilli, seeded and chopped
- 30g (3 tbsp) unsalted butter
- 3 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 5ml (1 tsp) paprika
- 15ml (1 tbsp) garam masala
- 1 x 410g tin chopped tomatoes
- 250ml (1 cup) chicken stock
- 250ml (1 cup) water
- 125ml (½ cup) fresh cream
- 100g unsalted cashew nuts
- fresh coriander
- ½ small red onion, finely chopped
- poppadoms or steamed basmati rice
- fresh red chilli, sliced
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Combine the yoghurt, spice paste, chicken and seasoning in a large bowl. Coat well and set aside for 15 minutes.
Place the onion, ginger and chilli in a food processor and blend to form a paste.
Melt half of the butter in a frying pan over medium heat and add the cardamom pods, paprika and garam masala. Cook for 1 minute then add the onion mixture and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, stock and water. Cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, cool slightly and transfer to a food processor. Blend until smooth and return the sauce to the pan.
Place the chicken on a baking tray, season well and grill until the chicken is cooked and slightly charred, turning halfway, 12 – 15 minutes.
Add the chicken to the tomato sauce together with any juices. Add the cream and remaining butter, and heat through.
Grind the cashew nuts with 15 – 30ml (1 – 2 tbsp) water in a food processor to form a paste. Stir into the curry and simmer for a further 15 minutes.
Serve the curry with plenty of fresh coriander, onion, poppadoms or steamed rice and sliced red chilli.