Burgers with an attitude; get your hands (and mouths) on them now!
Recipe and styling by Anna Montali
Assisted by Nomvuselelo Mncube
Photograph by Graeme Wyllie
Chickpea and spinach burgers with dolcelatte and pomegranate syrup
- 2 x 410g tins chickpeas, drained
- 100g spinach, blanched
- and finely chopped
- 10ml (2 tsp) fresh lemon juice
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 45ml (3 tbsp) fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 125ml (½ cup) fresh breadcrumbs
- oil, for frying
- 10 rolls, halved
- pomegranate syrup, to serve
- lettuce, to serve
- dolcelatte, softened, to serve
For the patties, blend the chickpeas in a food processor until smooth. Add the rest of the ingredients, mix well and shape into 10 patties.
Heat the oil in a pan and gently fry the patties until cooked, about 10 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towel.
Spread the inside of the rolls with pomegranate syrup and serve topped with a warm patty, some lettuce and a spoonful of dolcelatte.