Preserved aubergines with herbs
- 500ml (2 cups) white wine vinegar
- 10ml (2 tsp) Maldon sea salt
- 250ml (1 cup) olive oil
- 5ml (1 tsp) whole black peppercorns
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 5ml (1 tsp) dried chilli flakes
- 8 mixed aubergines
- handful fresh thyme sprigs
- small handful fresh oregano
- fresh baguette, to serve
In a bowl, mix together the vinegar, salt, oil, peppercorns, garlic and
chilli and set aside to infuse, 15 minutes.
Make shallow incisions in the aubergines with a knife and tuck the herbs inside the incisions.
Arrange the aubergines in a large sealable, sterilised jar and pour over the vinegar mixture. Allow to stand overnight. Serve with a warm, crusty baguette.