Creamy mushroom penne
- 180g penne
- 10ml (2 tsp) olive oil
- 200g white button mushrooms, sliced
- ½ garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 75ml dry white wine, optional
- 100ml crème fraîche
- a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 30ml (2 tbsp) Parmesan, grated, plus extra to serve
- 15ml (1 tbsp) fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Bring a large pan of water to a boil. Add the penne and cook according to packet instructions or until just tender, about 10 minutes.
Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the mushrooms and sauté over high heat until golden, about 5 minutes.
Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute while stirring.
Add the white wine and cook briskly until most of the wine has evaporated. Add the crème fraîche then gently reheat until the sauce is smooth. Stir in the nutmeg and seasoning. Remove from the heat.
Drain the penne then return to the pan. Stir through the mushroom sauce and the Parmesan. Divide between plates. Scatter over the parsley and serve hot with more Parmesan if desired.