It’s time to up your sandwich game and you know it. Grilled sandwich of BBQ beef brisket with mayo, gherkins and wild rocket is the perfect way to do so. This meaty delight is full of tenderness and robust flavours.
Grilled sandwich of BBQ beef brisket with mayo, gherkins and wild rocket
BBQ beef brisket
- 15ml (1 tbsp) smoked paprika
- 5ml (1 tsp) cayenne pepper
- 15ml (1 tbsp) mustard seeds
- 15ml (1 tbsp) coriander seeds
- 15ml (1 tbsp) cumin seeds
- 10ml (2 tsp) Maldon sea salt
- 2,5ml (½ tsp) whole black peppercorns
- 30ml (2 tbsp) brown sugar
- 1kg beef brisket
- olive oil, to fry
- 125ml (½ cup) beef stock
- 250ml (1 cup) tomato ketchup
- 100ml red wine vinegar
- 60ml (¼ cup) demerara sugar
- 5ml (1 tsp) Worcestershire sauce
- 12 slices ciabatta/bread of your choice, toasted/grilled
- 90ml mayonnaise
- 12 gherkins, thinly sliced
- 2 handfuls wild rocket
Preheat the oven to 140°C.
Place the paprika, cayenne pepper, mustard seeds, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, sea salt, peppercorns and brown sugar in a pestle and mortar and pound to a coarse powder. Rub the spice blend all over the meat and sear in a hot pan, in a little olive oil, until well browned. Remove from pan and place in a deep roasting tray. Pour over the stock, cover with foil and slow-cook in the oven until the meat is tender and pulls apart easily using a fork, 4 – 5 hours.
For the BBQ sauce, place all of the ingredients in a saucepan and simmer gently over medium heat, 15 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool before pouring into a jar and refrigerating until ready to use. This will keep for a couple of weeks in the fridge.
For the sandwich, smear half of the grilled slices of bread with a little mayonnaise. Place the pulled beef brisket in a small bowl and mix in the BBQ sauce until well coated (use only as much as you desire). Place a generous amount of BBQ beef on the bread slices and top with gherkins and a little wild rocket before sandwiching with the remaining grilled bread slices.
Cook's tip: The cooked brisket can be made in advance and will keep, refrigerated, for up to 3 days.