This St Patrick’s Day (17 March 2020), embrace Ireland’s verdant hues with this enchanting Irish potato, leek and pea pie.
Recipe and styling by Sarah Dall
Photography by Myburgh du Plessis
Irish potato, leek and pea pie
- flour, to dust
- 1 x 400g roll store-bought puff pastry, defrosted
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 leeks, washed well and chopped
- 200g frozen peas, defrosted
- 150ml pouring cream
- 5 fresh sage sprigs, leaves picked
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- fried leeks/fresh herbs, to garnish
Preheat the oven to 180°C. On a lightly floured surface, unroll the pastry and line a 22cm quiche tin. Allow the pastry to overhang slightly and crimp the edge of the pastry with a fork.
Melt the butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the potato and leek, and sauté, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
Place in the pastry case, spreading the mixture evenly. Scatter the peas over and pour in the cream. Sprinkle the sage and dill on top. Season well.
Bake in the preheated oven until the pastry is brown and the potatoes are cooked through, about 40 minutes. Garnish with the fried leek/fresh herbs and serve immediately.