These lemon meringue “maltshakes” are a fun drinkable version of the well-loved lemon meringue tart.
Recipe and styling by Illanique van Aswegen
Photographs by Adel Ferreira
Lemon meringue “maltshakes"
These lemon meringue "maltshakes" are a fun drinkable version of the well-loved lemon meringue tart.
- 1L (4 cups) slightly defrosted good-quality vanilla ice cream
- 500ml (2 cups) milk
- 80ml (1/3 cup) condensed milk
- zest of 2 lemons
- 125ml (½ cup) lemon juice
- 60ml (4 tbsp) Horlicks powder
- 240g lemon curd
- 80g crushed store-bought mini coconut biscuits
- 100g crushed ready-made meringue buttons
- 80g store-bought chocolate malt balls
- Fresh mint, to decorate
Combine the vanilla ice cream, milk, condensed milk, lemon zest, lemon juice and Horlicks powder in a high speed blender, and blitz until smooth.
Drizzle the insides of 4 serving glasses with the lemon curd. Pour in the maltshake mixture. Decorate the tops with crushed store-bought mini coconut biscuits, crushed ready-made meringue buttons, store-bought chocolate malt balls and fresh mint.
Place the lemon curd in a plastic squeezy bottle to easily decorate the insides of the maltshake glasses.