TO DRINK: Fairview Sangiovese, a spicy, light-textured wine to complement any dish.
Meat pies with three-cheese topping
- 30ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 250g streaky bacon, cut into lardoons, optional
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 800g beef mince
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 45ml (3 tbsp) tomato paste
- 125ml (½ cup) red wine
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme, roughly chopped
- 500ml (2 cups) ricotta cheese
- 60ml (¼ cup) mozzarella, crumbled
- 60ml (¼ cup) Parmesan, freshly grated
- 2 large eggs
Preheat the oven to 220ºC. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and fry the bacon until golden brown. Remove the bacon from the pan, drain on paper towel and set aside until needed.
In the same pan, fry the onion, garlic, carrot and celery over medium heat until soft and golden brown.
Add the mince and season. Fry until cooked through. Add the bacon, tomatoes, tomato paste, red wine and half the thyme. Simmer until the mixture starts to thicken, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, mix the ricotta, mozzarella, Parmesan, eggs and remaining thyme in a bowl until well combined. Season to taste.
Divide the mixture into 4 x 375ml capacity ovenproof bowls. Spoon the cheese mixture on top and bake on a baking tray until golden brown, about 15 – 20 minutes. Serve hot.