TO DRINK: A chilled, grassy andherbaceous sauvignon blanc is a classic – and refreshing – match with mussels
Mediterranean mussels with pommes frites
- oil, for deep-frying
- 5 – 6 potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced
- into chips and dried
- 40g (¼ cup) butter
- 10ml (2 tsp) olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 3 celery stalks, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed and
- finely chopped
- 1 fresh red chilli, seeded and chopped
- 1, 5kg mussels, beards removed
- 2 x 340ml beer
- 6 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
- lemon wedges, to serve
- a handful of fresh basil, to serve
Start with the pommes frites: heat the oil in a pan to medium-high and add a small handful of chips to the oil. Fry all the frites in batches until crispy. Remove from the oil, drain on paper towel and sprinkle with salt flakes. Keep warm in a low oven.
Melt the butter and olive oil in a large saucepan over low heat. Add the onion, celery, garlic and chilli, and fry until soft.
Add the mussels and cover the pan. Increase heat and add beer. Steam mussels for 3 – 4 minutes, shaking the pan from time to time. Discard any mussels that have failed to open. 4 Add the tomatoes to the mussels and serve warm with the frites, lemon wedges and fresh basil.