Nothing beats a braai, especially with family and good food. Espetada are the perfect reason for this, particularly during the summer months.
Ostrich braaied espetada (meat kebabs)
- 2,5ml (½ tsp) coarse salt
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- 10 fresh bay leaves, roughly torn
- 5ml (1 tsp) coconut oil
- 1kg ostrich fillet, cut into 4cm x 4cm cubes
- 4 – 5 bay leaf branches, tips sharpened
- lemon wedges, to serve
Create the marinade by mixing the coarse salt, garlic and bay leaves together in a bowl. Rub coconut oil over the ostrich cubes before spearing them onto the bay leaf-branch skewers. Coat the ostrich in the marinade.
Place the skewers over a braai of medium heat and cook until golden brown and medium, 10 – 15 minutes, turning halfway. Shake off excess salt and serve with a lemon wedge on the side.