The phyllo cases and creamed artichokes can be prepared a day ahead. Fill the cases about an hour before serving.
TO DRINK: Simonsig Kaapse Vonkel Brut Rosé is a delightful pink bubbly – perfect for mom’s party.
Phyllo tartlets with artichoke cream and smoked salmon
- 50g butter, melted
- 65ml avocado oil infused with garlic
- 6 sheets of phyllo pastry
- 260g marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- zest and juice of ½ lemon
- 5ml (1 tsp) fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 50g watercress and rocket
- 200g smoked salmon, sliced into ribbons
- caperberries, to garnish
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Preheat the oven to 180°C and lightly oil a large 6-hole muffin tin.
Mix the butter and 50ml of the oil. Cut the phyllo sheets into quarters and brush them with the butter mixture. Line the muffin holes with layers of pastry, with the edges extended slightly beyond the tin. Bake until golden brown and crisp, about 15 minutes. Remove from the muffin tin and set aside until needed.
Blend the artichokes, zest, juice, thyme and the remaining oil in a food processor until smooth. Chill until ready to serve.
To serve, divide the watercress and rocket between the tart cases. Spoon in a large dollop of artichoke cream and top with the salmon ribbons. Garnish with caperberries and pepper.