This Thai-inspired red curry sweet potato soup has just enough hotness to warm up a cold winter’s night. Coconut cream takes the edge off the spicy flavours, and adds a delicious texture to this exotic dish.
Recipe by Donna Hay
Photograph by Chris Court
Styling by Justine Poole
Red curry sweet potato soup
- 15ml (1 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 15ml (1 tbsp) ginger, finely grated
- 15ml (1 tbsp) Thai red curry paste
- 1kg sweet potato, chopped
- 1L (4 cups) chicken stock
- 250ml (1 cup) coconut cream
- coriander leaves, to serve
Heat the oil in a saucepan over high heat.
Add the onion and garlic and cook for 2 – 3 minutes. Add the ginger and curry paste and cook for a further 1 – 2 minutes. Add the sweet potato and chicken stock and cook for 15 minutes. Add the coconut cream and blend with a hand-held blender until smooth.
Top with the coriander leaves to serve.