Recipe and styling by Tina Maritz
Photograph by Andrea van der Spuy
Roast chicken with lemon and herbs
- 2 medium onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, washed and roughly chopped
- 2 celery sticks, washed and roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 (about 1,6kg) free-range chicken
- 50ml olive oil
- 5ml (1 tsp) sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lemon
- 1 small bunch fresh thyme and rosemary + extra, to garnish
Preheat the oven to 200°C.
Scatter the vegetables and garlic into the centre of a roasting dish and place the chicken on top. Rub the chicken with the olive oil, salt and pepper. Place the lemon in the cavity along with the fresh herbs and roast in the oven, 1 hour and 15 minutes.
When the chicken is cooked, remove from oven, cover with foil and allow to rest, 15 minutes, before carving. Garnish with fresh rosemary to serve.