Serve this for breakfast on St Patrick’s Day (or any other day). Get the recipe for the spinach soda bread here.
Recipe and styling by Sarah Dall
Photography by Myburgh du Plessis
Smashed avocado and poached eggs on spinach soda bread
- 2 tbsp frozen peas, defrosted
- ½ ripe avocado
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 sprigs fresh mint, finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 slice spinach soda bread (see recipe above)
- 2 soft poached eggs
- ½ handful fresh watercress, to serve
- 1 tbsp olive oil, to serve
In a small saucepan over high heat, bring salted water to the boil. Add the peas and blanch for 1 minute. Drain immediately and set aside.
Scoop the avocado flesh into a bowl and mash roughly. Mix in the lemon juice, mint and peas. Season to taste.
Lightly toast the bread.
To serve, dollop the avocado mixture onto the toast, top with the poached eggs and the watercress. Drizzle the olive oil over and serve.