Lemon pickle is a zesty, flavourful preserve that’s sure to spice up your cooking. It’s very easy to make and is a go-to ingredient in most South Asian and North African cuisine. Perfect for an unexpected flavour dimension.
Super-easy lemon pickle
- 15ml (1 tbsp) olive or avocado oil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 15ml (1 tbsp) mustard seeds
- 10ml (2 tsp) coriander seeds
- 2,5ml (½ tsp) fennel seeds
- 1 red chilli, sliced
- 4 whole lemons, washed thoroughly and thinly sliced
- juice of 4 lemons
- 5ml (1 tsp) Maldon Sea Salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 125ml (½ cup) water
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and fry gently until soft, 3 minutes.
Add the mustard, coriander, fennel seeds and chilli. Fry for 1 minute.
Add sliced lemons and coat the lemons in the spices. Add lemon juice, salt and pepper.
Add the water, mix well and cook over medium-high heat for 15 minutes, until the lemons have softened and are thick and glossy.
Remove from heat, cool completely and place in sterilised glass jars. Store in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.