This hot and healthy vegetable soup will warm hearts this winter.
By Taryne Jakobi
Photograph by Vanessa Lewis
Sweet potato and sesame soup with toasted coconut
- 300g red onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 20ml (4 tsp) fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 30ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 20ml (4 tsp) butter
- 45ml (3 tbsp) dry sherry
- 15ml (1 tbsp) palm sugar
- 300ml water
- 750g sweet potatoes, chopped
- 750g carrots, chopped
- 10ml (2 tsp) fish sauce
- 15ml (1 tbsp) tomato paste
- 10ml (2 tsp) sesame seeds, toasted, plus extra for serving
- 10ml (2 tsp) chilli flakes
- 800ml coconut milk
- 50ml fresh coriander, chopped
- 15ml (1 tbsp) cumin seeds, toasted
- juice of ½ lemon
- fresh coconut, grated and toasted, for serving
- extra 100g sweet potatoes, diced and lightly sautéed, for serving
Sweat the onions, garlic and ginger in the olive oil and butter for about 5 minutes.
Add the sherry and sugar and continue cooking until the mixture is thick and sticky, about 5 minutes.
Add the water, sweet potatoes, carrots, fish sauce, tomato paste, sesame seeds, chilli flakes and coconut milk. Simmer until all the vegetables are soft, about 1 hour. Add more water only if necessary.
Purée with a hand blender. Add the coriander, cumin seeds and lemon juice.
Serve hot with sesame seeds, coconut and sautéed sweet potatoes.