We’re not being arrogant with the title. This really is the best chicken salad ever. Try it immediately if not sooner, because it’s guaranteed to be everything you’re looking for!
The best chicken salad ever
- 1 x 1,2kg free-range or organic chicken
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- olive oil, to taste
- 1 ciabatta loaf, torn into chunks
- 12 slices of pancetta
- 50g wild rocket
- a bunch of fresh mint, leaves picked
- 280g sun-dried tomatoes, drained and halved
- balsamic vinegar, to taste
- extra virgin olive oil, to taste
Preheat the oven to 200°C.
Season the chicken and rub with a little olive oil. Place in a roasting tray and roast for 1½ hours or until cooked, adding the bread after 30 minutes. Remove from the oven.
Once the chicken has cooled slightly, use your fingers or two forks to tear the meat into long pieces.
Fry the pancetta in a little oil until crispy.
Toss the torn chicken with the ciabatta croutons, rocket, mint, tomatoes and pancetta. Season well, dress with a little balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil, and serve with a glass of crisp white wine.
To drink: Capaia Wines’ Blue Grove Hill Sauvignon Blanc has lovely mineral flavours and a zingy acidity – the perfect crisp white wine for this salad.