Recipe and styling by Sarah Dall
Photograph by Myburgh du Plessis
Tomato and green olive tapenade tart
- 110g (1 cup) green olives, pitted
- 2 anchovies, rinsed and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 10g (¼ cup) chopped fresh basil
- 60ml (¼ cup) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp capers, drained
- zest and juice of 1 medium lemon
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 400g ready-made puff pastry, defrosted
- 300g heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 10 fresh basil leaves, to serve
- 50g toasted flaked almonds, to serve
For the tapenade, in a food processor place the olives, anchovies, garlic, basil, 60ml (¼ cup) extra-virgin olive oil, capers, lemon zest and juice, and pulse until blended (it can have a few lumps). Season to taste and set aside.
For the tomato tart, preheat the oven to 200°C. Unroll the pastry onto a lightly floured baking tray. Spread with the olive tapenade, top with tomato slices and drizzle with the 2 tbsp olive oil. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 – 25 minutes.
Remove from oven and top with the fresh basil leaves and toasted flaked almonds.