This is a great vegetarian and vegan dish. It’s perfect as a spread on bruschetta and as a dip with crudités, or toss it through warm pasta for a quick sauce.
Tomato, basil and almond spread
- 100g flaked almonds
- 500ml (2 cups) ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 30ml (2 tbsp) sun-dried tomatoes60ml (¼ cup) cannellini beans
- 10ml (2 tsp) smoked paprika
- 15ml (1 tbsp) balsamic vinegar
- 5ml (1 tsp) crushed garlic
- 10ml (2 tsp) chopped fresh basil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 60ml (¼ cup) olive oil
Lightly toast the almonds in a pan over medium heat until golden. Set aside to cool.
Add the cooled almonds, tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, beans, paprika, vinegar and garlic to a food processor and blend until the almonds are fine. Add the basil and season. While the motor is running, slowly drizzle in the oil to make a smooth dip.
If you like spicy food, add a bit of chopped chilli to the dip for an extra kick.