RECIPE AND STYLING BY NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE
PHOTOGRAPH BY DYLAN SWART AND HEMA PATEL
Vegetable curry with basmati rice
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 600g orange sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 ½ tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 3cm thumb fresh ginger, peeled and ginely grated
- 500ml (2 cups) vegetable stock
- 1 x 400ml tin coconut milk
- 200g Rosa tomatoes
- 1 x 500g (small) cauliflower head, cut into florets
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into rounds
- juice of 1 lime + lime wedges to serve
- 2 large handfuls fresh coriander, chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1kg (5 cups) basmati rice, cooked according to packaging instructions
Put the canola oil in a large saucepan placed over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté until soft and translucent, 3 – 4 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes, curry paste, coriander seeds, ground cumin, garlic and ginger, and fry until fragrant, 2 – 3 minutes.
Pour in the vegetable stock and coconut milk, add the Rosa tomatoes, then stir until mixed well. Increase the heat and bring the curry to the boil, then continue to boil, about 15 minutes. Add the cauliflower florets and carrots, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, partially covered, until the vegetables are soft, 8 – 10 minutes. Add the fresh lime juice and chopped coriander. Season to taste and remove from heat.
Serve the curry warm, atop a bed of the cooked basmati rice. Enjoy with the fresh lime wedges alongside, for squeezing.