Za’atar is a collective name for a variety of signature Middle Eastern spices that are sure to add a kick to your cooking. These Za’atar-crusted lamb chops are bursting with seasoned flavour and are deliciously tender. Perfect for a Mediterranean-inspired lunch.
Za’atar-crusted lamb chops
- 30ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- juice of 1 lemon
- 5ml (1 tsp) dried oregano
- 5ml (1 tsp) honey
- 5ml (1 tsp) fresh ginger, finely grated
- 12 lamb chops, trimmed
- 30ml (2 tbsp) fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 15ml (1 tbsp) lemon zest, finely chopped
- 30ml (2 tbsp) white sesame seeds
- 15ml (1 tbsp) sumac
- 1ml (¼ tsp) chilli powder
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Combine all of the marinade ingredients in a non-metallic bowl. Add the chops and cover in the marinade. Cover and chill for 3 hours or overnight.
Combine the za’atar ingredients together. Remove the lamb chops from the marinade and scatter the za’atar over the chops. Leave for 15 minutes for the flavours to infuse.
Preheat a griddle pan and grill the chops over a moderate heat, for 8 – 10 minutes on each side, or until cooked to your liking.
To drink: Shiraz is a spicy grape; great with exotic dishes. Ridgeback Shiraz is ripe and full of pepper.