Berries and cake, that’s life!
- 115 g gooseberries
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 100 g ground almonds
- 50 g plain fl our
- 175 g icing sugar
- 3 medium egg whites
- 120 g butter, melted and cooled
- 2 tbsp chopped hazelnutsYou will need:
- Friand mould or muffin tin, greased
1. Heat the oven to 180°C. Cook the gooseberries in 2 tsp lemon juice over a medium heat for 3–5 min until they just begin to burst open. Set aside to cool.
2. Combine ground almonds and fl our in a bowl and then sift in the icing sugar. Mix well and leave to one side.
3. Whisk the egg whites until stiff and then add to the fl our mix with the melted butter and lemon zest. Fold carefully until combined.
4. Spoon the batter into the moulds so they are around three-quarters full, then place a spoonful of the gooseberry mix on top, plus a chopped hazelnuts. Bake for 12–14 min until the friands have risen slightly and are lightly golden.
TIP: If you can’t find gooseberries, use sliced plums instead.
Makes 8–10 | Ready in 45 min
ALSO SEE MALVA BLONDIES WITH AMARULA GLAZE