We loved using Peppadew’s classic Mild and Hot Piquanté Pepper relishes to create this
peri-peri chicken livers with ciabatta toast recipe – choose your favourite relish, depending on your preference for spicy food.
Peri-peri chicken livers with ciabatta toastPrint Recipe
- olive oil, to fry
- knob butter
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- leaves of 3 sprigs rosemary, finely chopped
- 125ml (½ cup) dry white wine
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 15ml (1 tbsp) chicken stock granules
- 125ml (½ cup) boiling water
- 200ml mild/hot relish
- 5ml (1 tsp) cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 2 x 250g tubs fresh, free-range chicken livers, rinsed (available at woolworths.co.za)
- 45ml (3 tbsp) fresh cream
- handful thyme leaves
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- chargrilled ciabatta slices, to serve
- chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, to garnish
Place a glug olive oil and a knob butter in a large pot over low heat. Gently sauté the onion with the garlic and rosemary until the onion is soft and translucent, about 10 minutes.
Add the wine and increase the heat to high. Allow the wine to reduce until barely any liquid remains, about 5 – 10 minutes. Add the tinned tomatoes, stock granules, boiling water, relish and cayenne pepper, and simmer over low heat, 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
While the sauce simmers, heat a drizzle olive oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat and, in batches, fry the chicken livers, 2 – 3 minutes per side. Set aside until needed.
Stir the fresh cream and thyme leaves into the sauce. Taste and season accordingly, adding a little more cayenne pepper for heat, if desired. Stir the chicken livers through the sauce just before serving, and serve with the ciabatta toast and flat-leaf parsley.
If you loved these peri-peri chicken livers with ciabatta toast, then you will definitely enjoy these recipes (take our word for it):
Peppermint Crisp fridge tart (one of your all-time favourites)
Super-easy lemon cheesecake (gone are the days of overly fussy cheesecakes)
Spanakopita (a Greek classic)
The Gourmet Greek lemon tart (made with love)
Scalloped Mediterranean potatoes (possibly the perfect side to ANY meal)