This dish is great for its simplicity. It is a winter favourite, and the mash can be spiced up with a teaspoon of wholegrain mustard, or some puréed leeks if you prefer. If you can’t get vine tomatoes, any ripe tomatoes will do.
Bangers and herby mash with roasted vine tomatoes
- 8 large mashing potatoes, peeled and cubed
- salt, to taste
- 4 vine tomatoes
- olive oil, for drizzling
- coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 pork or chicken bangers
- 200ml – 250ml fresh cream
- 50g butter
- 2 handfuls finely chopped mixed herbs (we used parsley, mint and thyme)
Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
Place the potatoes in a pot of salted boiling water, and cook until soft enough to mash.
Drizzle the tomatoes with a little olive oil and season. Put them together with the bangers in a hot oven. Cook the sausages for about 20 – 30 minutes, turning them to brown evenly. Remove from oven once cooked and golden brown in colour.
Mash the potatoes together with the cream, butter and seasoning until smooth. Mix in the herbs and serve.