Beef and bean chilli stew is an American classic, but these flavours are loved worldwide. Slightly spicy and full of flavour, this is a robust dinner.
Beef and bean chilli stew
- 1kg minced beef
- 500ml (2 cups) onion, chopped
- 3 x 400g tins red kidney beans, drained
- 3 x 410g tins tomatoes, drained
- 2 green peppers, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 30ml (2 tbsp) fresh chilli, seeded and sliced
- 10ml (2 tsp) black pepper
- 10ml (2 tsp) ground cumin
- 125ml (½ cup) chicken or beef stock
- salt and freshly ground back pepper, to taste sour cream, to serve
- grated cheese, to serve fresh chives, to serve
Brown the beef with the onion in a heavy-based pot.
Add all the other ingredients and stir well to combine.
Cover and cook on low for approximately 3 hours, checking and stirring occasionally.
Serve in bowls with the sour cream, cheese and chives.
To drink: Try an ale from local brewer Gilroys, light with slight fruitiness and a touch of sweetness to counter the chilli.