Recipes by Illanique van Aswegen
Chargrilled mealie, avocado and flaked salmon salad with spicy pineapple dressing
- 225g fresh pineapple, roughly chopped
- 30ml (2 tbsp) lemon juice
- 125ml (½ cup) orange juice
- 45ml (3 tbsp) olive or avocado oil
- 5ml (1 tsp) wholegrain mustard
- 2,5ml (½ tsp) chilli flakes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 corn on the cob/mealies
- 400g salmon fillets, grilled and flaked
- 2 avocados, cubed
- 60ml (¼ cup) fresh dill, chopped
- 100g Danish feta, cubed
- small handful fresh microherbs
- 1 cucumber, peeled into ribbons, to serve
- 40g fresh rocket, to serve
For the dressing, use a hand blender to blitz the pineapple flesh, lemon juice, orange juice and oil together. Stir in the mustard and chilli flakes and season.
For the salad, boil or steam the mealies until tender, 15 – 20 minutes. Heat a griddle pan over high heat and fry the mealies until lightly charred on all sides. Carefully cut off the kernels from the cob and add to a salad bowl. Gently stir in the flaked salmon, avocado, dill, feta and microherbs. Drizzle the dressing over and toss to combine. Top with the cucumber ribbons and scatter over some rocket.
For the cucumber ribbons, use a vegetable peeler to slice ‘ribbons’. Stop when you get to the seeded part. Twist the ribbons and add to the salad for texture. Use a teaspoon to scoop out the flesh of your avocado – it looks pretty and also works well if the avocados are too soft to chop.