We love a delicious heart-warming curry to warm us up when it’s cold outside. This chicken, broccoli and peanut-butter curry is one of our favourites for a midweek dinner. It’s quick, easy and fuss-free and a guaranteed hit with the family. Serve it with some chargrilled naan bread to mop up the yummy sauce.
TRY THIS: Fresh chicken curry
Recipe and styling by Nomvuselelo Mncube
Photograph by Dylan Swart
Chicken, broccoli and peanut-butter curry
- 30ml (2 tbsp) avocado oil
- 4 chicken thighs, skinless
- 4 chicken drumsticks, skinless
- 6 spring onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 30ml (2 tbsp) green curry paste
- 125g (½ cup) smooth peanut butter
- seeded fresh chillies, to taste (optional)
- 1 x 400ml tin coconut milk
- 375ml (1½ cups) chicken stock
- 2 sticks lemongrass
- 500g broccoli
- fresh lemon, to squeeze
- handful fresh thyme leaves
- chargrilled naan bread, to serve
Place the oil in a large, deep frying pan over medium-high heat. Fry the chicken, about 10 minutes or until golden. Add the spring onions and garlic, and fry, about 1 minute. Add the green curry paste, peanut butter and chillies, if desired, and fry, a further minute, stirring occasionally.
Add the coconut milk, chicken stock and lemongrass, and cook, about 15 – 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Add the broccoli, and cook for a further 2 – 3 minutes or until tender. Stir through lemon juice to taste and the thyme. Serve with chargrilled naan bread alongside.
ALSO TRY: Chicken, cashew and fresh coconut curry