- 45ml (3 tbsp) olive/avocado oil, to fry + extra, if needed
- 4 chicken drumsticks, skins removed
- 4 chicken thighs, skins removed
- 800g king prawns, cleaned
- 220g chorizo, chopped
- 1 red onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 5ml (1 tsp) paprika
- 1kg bomba (paella) rice
- 1,5L (6 cups) chicken stock
- 60ml (¼ cup) grapefruit juice
- 10ml (2 tsp) white sugar
- 3 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 3 medium grapefruits, peeled and cut into segments
- handful fresh coriander, to garnish
Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat and brown the chicken drumsticks and thighs on both sides, about 15 minutes, adding a little more oil if needed. Place in a bowl and set aside until needed.
In the same pan, fry the prawns, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside in a bowl until needed.
In the same pan, fry the chorizo until crispy, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside in a bowl until needed.
Heat a little oil in a clean, deep saucepan over medium heat, add the onion and garlic, stir in the paprika and cook, 2 minutes. Add the rice and stir until combined. Add the stock, juice, sugar, chicken and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Season to taste, lower the heat to medium and let it simmer away, 20 minutes.
Add the prawns and cook for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the chorizo.
Mix in some of the grapefruit segments, keeping the rest for a topping. Garnish with coriander and the remainder of the grapefruit.