This zesty, fresh dressing will give a delicious kick to meat. Grilled steak with chimichurri is the perfect combination of tender beef and delicious seasoning. Perfect for a braai in the sunshine.
Grilled steak with chimichurri
- 2 – 3 red or yellow peppers
- 2 x 700g sirloin, cubed
- 30ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to serve
- 100g fresh rocket leaves, to serve
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed and finely chopped
- a large handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 5ml (1 tsp) dried oregano
- 5ml (1 tsp) cayenne pepper
- 5ml (1 tsp) paprika
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground cumin
- 1 bay leaf, finely chopped
- 80ml ( cup) olive oil
- 60ml (¼ cup) red wine vinegar
Prepare medium to hot coals. Place the peppers over the hot coals and chargrill (or place them under the grill of the oven). Remove the peppers, cover with plastic wrap and set aside for a few minutes to sweat. Peel and remove seeds from the peppers and slice into cubes.
For the chimichurri, place all of the ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and mix well to combine.
Place the sirloin cubes in a large mixing bowl and coat with olive oil. Skewer the meat onto wooden skewers, alternating with cubes of roasted pepper. Season to taste. 4 Roast over hot coals until done to your liking, about 15 – 20 minutes. Serve the skewers with fresh rocket and chimichurri on the side.