Tacos with ostrich mince con carne use some favourite South Africa meat in a Latin American classic. Ostrich mince is delicious stuffed into a taco and topped with guacamole, tomato salsa, sour cream, shredded lettuce and fresh coriander.
Tacos with ostrich mince con carne
- 15ml olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ red onion, sliced
- 400g ostrich mince
- 60ml tomato paste
- 250ml good-quality beef stock
- 25ml ground cumin
- 10ml ground coriander
- 5ml fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 200g red kidney beans, cooked
- kernels from 1 cooked mielie
- 1 chilli, seeded and chopped salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- guacamole, tomato salsa, sour cream, shredded lettuce, fresh coriander, to serve
Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and sauté the garlic and onion. Allow to cook until lightly browned, about 3 – 4 minutes.
Add the mince and cook, stirring frequently to break up and brown the mince. Add the tomato paste, stock, spices, parsley, bay leaf and beans, and simmer over a low heat for 10 minutes. Add the kernels and chilli, and season.
To serve, place the mince mixture into a heated taco and top with guacamole, tomato salsa, sour cream and shredded lettuce, finishing off with fresh coriander.
Made this recipe? Tag us @foodandhomesa #cookingwithFH on Instagram!
ALSO SEE: Try these trending Big Mac smash tacos