For an extra-tangy flavour, double the quantity of the lime juice in the filling to 100ml.
Recipe and styling by Sarah Dall
Photograph by Myburg du Plessis
Vegan avocado and lime tartlets
- 100g pecan nuts
- 50g desiccated coconut
- 200g pitted dates
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, melted and at room temperature + extra, to grease
- 80ml (⅓ cup) coconut oil, melted and at room temperature
- 1 large avocado, peeled, pitted and roughly chopped
- 50ml (about 2 limes) fresh lime juice
- zest of 1 lime + extra, to serve
- 90g maple syrup
- thinly sliced and quartered lime slices, to garnish
- a few mint leaves, to garnish
Preheat the oven to 160°C.
For the base, toast the pecan nuts and desiccated coconut on a lined baking tray in the preheated oven until golden, 7 – 8 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Place the cooled toasted pecans and coconut, along with the dates and 3 tbsp melted coconut oil, into a food processor. Process until just combined. Divide the mixture among 5 lightly greased 10cm loose-bottomed, fluted tartlet tins. Press down firmly, covering the bases and sides, making sure you have an even layer throughout. Refrigerate to set, about 2 hours.
For the filling, place the 80ml (⅓ cup) coconut oil and remaining filling ingredients into the cleaned food processor and blend until the mixture is completely smooth.
Pour the filling into the chilled bases. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Remove from tins and serve the tartlets garnished with the lime zest, quartered lime slices and mint leaves.