Recipe and styling by Sarah Dall
Photograph by Myburgh du Plessis
Vegan asparagus and pea risotto
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves picked
- 210g (1 cup) arborio rice
- 250ml (1 cup) vegan MCC brut rosé (we used Graham Beck)
- 750ml (3 cups) vegetable stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 100g peas
- 100g asparagus tips
- 100g dairy-free Cheddar –flavoured cheese, grated (find at select health stores)
In a medium pot, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until translucent and cooked through, 2 – 3 minutes.
Add the thyme leaves and Arborio rice and fry for another minute.
Add the MCC and simmer until all the liquid has been absorbed. Continue cooking, adding a little stock at a time, ensuring the liquid has absorbed into the rice before adding more. Repeat this process, stirring occasionally, until all the stock has been incorporated. This should take 15 – 20 minutes. Season to taste.
Bring a medium pot of salted water to the boil on high heat and blanch the peas and asparagus for 2 minutes. Drain in a colander and immediately refresh under cold water.
Add the peas and asparagus to the risotto and serve with the dairy-free cheese alongside.