Recipe by Claire Ferrandi
White bean and baby marrow burgers with cashew mayo and a sprout salad
- White bean and baby marrow burgers
- ½ red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 x 400g tin cannellini beans, drained
- 30ml (2 tbsp) flaxseeds
- 30ml (2 tbsp) chia seeds
- 30ml (2 tbsp) ground almonds
- 5ml (1 tsp) smoked paprika
- zest of 1 lemon
- 4 baby marrows, grated
- 30g sunflower seeds
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Vegan cashew mayo
- 100g cashews, soaked for 10 minutes in boiling water, drained and water discarded
- 30ml (2 tbsp) water
- 15ml (1 tbsp) Dijon mustard
- juice of ½ lemon
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 10ml (2 tsp) white vinegar
- To serve
- 4 burger buns, halved and toasted
- handful lettuce leaves
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced lengthways
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 red onion, peeled and sliced into rings
- handful sprouts of your choice
Prepare a braai to grill the burgers over medium-high heat.
For the burger patties, place all of the ingredients – except the baby marrows, sunflower seeds and seasoning – in a blender and blitz until just smooth. Remove from blender and stir in the grated baby marrows and sunflower seeds. Season well to taste.
Divide the burger mixture into 4 and shape into patties. Grill on the braai until slightly charred, 3 – 4 minutes
For the vegan cashew mayo, place all of the ingredients in a blender and blitz until smooth. Season to taste.
To assemble the burgers, place a dollop of mayo on each burger-bun half. Top with some lettuce, a patty, avo slices, tomato slices, red onion slices and sprouts. Close the burgers and serve with lemon wedges for squeezing.